Traxee

Sunday, August 16, 2009

What a Weekend!

I am beginning to think that I am losing my mind (I know that some of you think that happened long ago!). I have never been a morning person; I love to sleep late! Now here I am getting up early just to subject my body to more abuse! Friday morning Jackie and I ran at 5:15, and the past two mornings - on a weekend! - I have been up before 7:00 to run. I must humbly admit that it feels pretty good. I like having the run over so that I don't have to worry about working it into my day or evening. I feel more energized throughout the day, although an afternoon nap is sounding very enticing!I had good runs both mornings. On Saturday morning I once again ran with my young niece. In order to make me look bad, she runs 4 miles before we even begin! She just has to prove that 42 can never keep up with 22! Anyway, I really wanted to run 6 miles, so we set off to get Mozart Street out of the way first. We then looped around, ran all the way down Tell Street to Main, then down to Washington and around to 7th. We headed back up Tell, and over to the track. This is basically the Schweizer Fest 6-mile course, so I was certain that we had run 6 miles, just not in the order of the race. Being obsessive, I jumped in my car and drove the course to get the exact mileage. It was only 5.8! If you are not a runner, this might seem trivial, but when I am trying to meet a goal, those 2 tenths really matter. I was not happy. Yet, my sensible side was saying you just ran 5.8 miles - how can you not be happy??? I was happy that I had spent quality time sweating with Erin, and that it was a gorgeous morning, and that I didn't puke or pass out. Next Saturday we will run 6!Side note---this was our first weekend since June with no kids and no company :-). We went to Evansville yesterday to go to an antique show and to shop a little. On our way home we stopped for ice cream. And then my hubbie decided he still needed more chocolate, so we stopped at Nobles just to get chocolate Zingers! I ate 3 before bed! This is why I run. This morning as my hubbie and I were preparing to head out for a pre-church run, I noticed I had a text on my phone from Jackie. It was from last night, and I hadn't read it yet. I won't quote her, but suffice it to say that she ran 24 laps on the track, which is, my friends, 6 miles!!!! She had scoffed at running 5 the other night, met that goal, and then went on to add another mile! How great is that? I intended to attempt 6 again this morning, but I had to have ample time to get ready for church, and I had to be there early because I was singing (hey, I might not sing well, but I like it, and God doesn't care!). Gary ran at the track while I hit the streets. I didn't want to run Mozart again, so I decided to run the route that we normally bike; it's a 5 mile route. It was a great run. I got tired, and trudged along at a few points, but overall it went well. I saw several other runners out, which always makes it nice. Kim was out, and we actually passed one another twice. Gosh, she is fast! She just makes it look so easy. I also passed (well...he passed me) Wes. After placing second in a triathlon yesterday, you'd think he'd celebrate by sleeping in. But no, he was still out running. I am going to meet Jackie at 5:10 in the morning. I truly hope that I can keep this madness up. I feel better physically than I have in years! Now step away from your computer, and enjoy this gorgeous August day!

No comments:

Post a Comment