Traxee

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Counting down the days...

School starts in less than a week. Although much has been accomplished this summer, I am sad to see it end. We have had so much company, and I have missed the quiet times with just my husband and kids. As much as I love my extended family, I am a creature of habit, and being out of my routine for this length of time is taking its toll.

The Schweizer Fest 2 mile run is in 3 days. As I reflect over the past few months, remembering that my husband's and my original goal was to just be able to complete the 2 mile without walking, I realize how far we have both come. Just months ago Gary was running to the end of our drive and back trying to build strength and endurance. At that same time I was on the treadmill, proud that I could run 1/4 mile without stopping. Each of us gradually added distance to our runs and encouraged one another to continue. We can both run 4 miles consistently now - Wow! The other night I told Gary that I was so pleased that both of us had taken up running. I am a talker, and if he weren't also running, I know that he wouldn't want to hear my running stories or complaints, and he might be happy for me, but he couldn't understand fully the sense of accomplishment one feels when meeting yet another personal goal.

This morning Jackie and I also talked about how until one runs, he or she can't imagine the determination it takes to get out there and just run. It hurts; it's tiring; it is difficult to breathe; and as older beginners, our bodies take more time to adjust to the pounding of the pavement beneath our feet. Non-runners find it easy to remark about the slow pace of some runners, but the fact that they are running is a testiment to their determination, and they should be commended. At races, runners are supportive of one another. There are some who are there to win, but the majority are there to reach personal goals, and just to enjoy running with others who embrace the sport. At the Owensboro race the crowd cheered just as loudly for the person who finished last as they did for the first one to the finish line. Those are the moments that make the the tough days worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment