Traxee

Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome 2012

The coming of a new year always brings with it time for reflection.  2012 is no different.  Once the Christmas decorations were down, the last of the cookies were eaten, and Morgan and her family had headed back to Louisiana, I had some time to look back at 2011, and to plan for 2012. 

2011 was certainly a memorable year, and one that I was not sad to see go.  Watching my sister worry as her husband suffered a heart attack, and then grieving with her as she faced the tragic death of her son was heartwrenching.  My family came together to support my sister and nieces as we all felt the devastation, sadness, and some guilt over Steve's death.  My sister and I both have a strong faith, and it has carried us through many trying times throughout our lives.  We both believe that in the midst of struggles, there are always lessons to be learned.  I learned the importance of being there for friends when they are suffering.  I have made more of an effort to send cards and visit, even when it might not be convenient.  We were so touched by the acts of kindness shown to us during the weeks following Steve's death; it is important to show that same kindness when others are grieving. 

There were some great things about 2011 as well.  I had a successful surgery in February, and was able to run a half marathon 12 weeks later.  I became a grandmother.  I learned that becoming a grandmother is pretty awesome!  I had my first children's book published, and published a book about running through Amazon Kindle.  Publishing Dear Daddy also taught me many, many lessons about the publishing business.  Unfortunately, those lessons were learned the hard way!  We were blessed to have all of Gary's family here for Thanksgiving, and all of my family here for Christmas.  And I went ziplining with my sister, cousin, and two of my daughters.  Check that off the bucket list!

I don't really make resolutions for a new year.  I am always reflecting on where I am in life, and where I want to be.  Like most people I know, I always have to get back on track with diet and exercise after the new year.  After a month of devouring cookies and cakes, it is time to scale back and to run more.  I try to set some goals for the year.  I hope to republish Dear Daddy this year.  I want to find a more traditional publisher (like I said, I learned some lessons the hard way!).  I want to get another children's book published.  I am going to begin a new project about the aging.   I plan to run a half marathon this spring and fall.  I want to continue to go to Zumba classes, and to encourage others to begin an exercise plan.  I would say that I want to eat better, but that just doesn't happen with me.  I just don't like vegetables, and fruit (except the occasional banana) does nothing for me.  I want to focus on the positive, and eliminate negative people from my life.  Unless, of course, I can help them become more positive!  I will embrace my friends and make them feel valued.  I will cherish my family and always tell them I love them.  I will enjoy the year with my husband, running, browsing for antiques, and visiting our kids and grandkids.

One goal that I have is to be present in the moment.  I sometimes feel that we are always looking forward to something, and forget to enjoy the moment we are in.  This is also true when we are with others.  I have worked really hard the past few years to become a better listener.  After reading something about listening, I realized that rather than listening to someone, I was often busy planning my response.  Now I try to truly listen, and have finally realized that just because someone wants to share something with me, doesn't mean that he or she wants my opinion on the matter.  We often want to share our own experiences or we share that we know someone who faced the same or a similar situation.  People don't want to hear that.  They want me to listen to their situation and to be present while listening.  I am pretty full of opinions, so this took a lot of work for me!

I am looking forward to this new year.  I am excited about upcoming projects, and that Morgan will be moving to Kansas this summer.  She will be much closer to home, which means I will be able to see Layne more.  I am ready to get back into a running routine.  I always slack off in November and December, and then get back into it in January.  Jackie and I ran this morning to start our 2012 running season.  The windchill was 15 degrees and the wind was wicked!  I don't mind the cold, but the wind pushed against us as we trudged down the street.  I love the challenge of winter runs, but I wasn't prepared to start today - especially since it was in the upper 40s when we ran two days ago!

What are your goals and dreams for 2012?  For me, having goals makes my life so much more interesting.  I might not meet all that I have set, but I am not afraid to try.  Sometimes trying is an accomplishment in itself!

Happy 2012 - Make it count!!

No comments:

Post a Comment