Traxee

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My First 10k




While sitting through the awards ceremony for a 5k and 10k race in Owensboro last summer, I made the decision that this year I would run the 10k.  After running the 5k last year (my second 5k), I felt that I was making necessary improvements, and that just maybe I could run 6.2 miles at some point in time.  It didn't hurt that in my age group (40-44) in the 10k, there were only 2 runners, so even if I had crawled across the finish line, I would have placed! 

I now run 6+ miles at least once a week, so as July approached I felt ready to take on this challenge.  I attempted to get some friends to sign up for the 10k; they also run at least 6 miles once a week, so I knew that it wasn't a matter of whether or not they could complete the mileage.  Jennifer said that she just didn't like that distance.  I must admit, this scared me because Jennifer runs half marathons, and if she didn't feel comfortable running a 10k, what made me think I could do it?  My other running buddy, Jackie, just isn't really interested in racing.  So, Gary and I were on our own.  My goal was to finish in under an hour, and secretly, I really wanted to place.

I didn't get nervous...until the 45 minute drive to Owensboro.  Then my stomach started to question my sanity.  In its rumblings I heard what the hell were you thinking?  It was hot outside, there were going to be fast runners, and I am no expert at running!  My husband never gets nervous about a race.  He just goes out, does the best he can, and is satisfied with completing the run.  Hmm...

As we lined up for the race donning our numbers and our timing chips, I attempted positive self-talk:  I always run 6 miles - this is no different.  Just get out there and run.  It doesn't matter what your time is; not many people can run 6 miles.  Your stomach feels great.  You get the point.  The gun went off, and I took off.  Gary and I don't start together, we just give each other a good-luck kiss and run our own races.  I knew no one else, so I was on my own for those 6.2 miles.  As usual in a race, I stayed up with the pack for the first half mile.  I kept looking at my Garmin thinking you don't run this fast - you can't run this fast - you will be done by mile 2!  I slowed down to a steady pace and tried to take in my surroundings.  The race was flat (thank you, God!), and through a residential neighborhood.  As I admired the huge old homes, my mind began to relax.  I was running at about a 9 minute pace, but I didn't think I could keep it up the whole way.  I just decided that I would keep that pace as long as possible, and that I was going to really push myself.  Who cared if I vomited at the finish line or my muscles retaliated for the next several days?  I wanted to see what my 43-year-old body could do.

Hydrate...we all know how important that is in the summer heat, but I still don't like grabbing water in a race.  Until this race, I only had once, in my very first race, and that was more trouble than it was worth.  So, in my crazy race thinking, as we passed by the water stations, my thoughts were here is my chance to pass some people!  I know - it's stupid!  I passed up water and was happy when others stopped to hydrate so that I could pass them!  Nevermind that I might be passed out up the road a bit, and they could then trample my mean dehydrated butt!  And for the record, I did take a sip at the last station (there was no one around who could pass me at that time!).

I did manage to pass a few runners throughout the race.  In the last mile, I passed a lady, who I thought could be in my age group, and then she passed me!  Ooohh...the race was really on!  The finish line was on the track of a college football field, and once we hit that track I used that final burst of energy to pass her - again!  At last, the finish line.  I had done it!  My time:  56:39!  My pace:  9:09!  I had never run that fast for that long.  I was thrilled.  I know that to those of you who are really runners, that speed is by no means competitive, but for me, it was flying!

Gary, as most of you know, has an artificial knee, and most orthopedics would say he shouldn't be running.  He gets out there, though, and he works so hard.  He was determined to run this race, and his goal was to run it in under 1:30:00.  He ran it in 1:24:00!  He said that he had such a great feeling of accomplishment when crossing that finish line, and that where he placed didn't matter in the least.  He had met his goal!

For our area, Owensboro has some really great runners.  Because there were cash prizes for this race, they were all there!  As I wrote earlier, last year there were only 2 runners in my division; this year there were 7 (just as my luck would have it!).  When I went to look at the results, my feeling of elation was quickly deflated.  I was 5th out of 7!  The overall female winner was from my age group and her time was 39:31!  She ran at a 6:23 pace, which in my wildest competitive dreams, I could never do.  That's about my sprint pace at the track, and I can only do that for about 100 meters!  The runner who placed 3rd in my division ran it in 45:36, so I was 11 minutes from even placing!  Eleven minutes!  After my initial disappointment and whining, I was still proud of my time and effort.  In the female category, I was 26/41, so I did beat some runners.  And really, aren't we all winners just for getting out there in front of everyone and running 6.2 miles?  How many people do you know who can do that?  I know a few, but when we consider percentages of the overall population, we rock!  I will go back next year, but with much different expectations. 

Will I do a 10k again?  Probably.  It did take all week to recover, which surprised me.  After a 5k I can just jump back into my normal running routine, but I didn't run well last week at all.  My legs were just tired and didn't want to cooperate with my brain!  My stomach was not quite right for a few days.  It started hurting immediately after the race and hurt on and off all night.

Our next race is the Schweizer Fest 6 mile (the 2 mile has been sounding rather appealing in this heat!).  It is a hometown race that drew over 500 runners last year.  I really prefer to run out of town where no one knows me, but we have been training for this race all summer.  I just have to figure out how to train my stomach to stay under control when I get nervous!

On a side note...I am really thrilled that I received the following email last night:

HI Joyce!




Just wanted to let you know that we’ll be announcing your blog name on our Traxee sites this week as a winner of the Traxee “Best Blogs By Women Runners” poll.

Thanks so much to Traxee.com and expecially to Beth Moore, who has been inspiring female runners everywhere!


Keep on Running, Friends!  It does a body good!  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment