Traxee

Saturday, December 5, 2009

It's Been Awhile!

I can't believe that I haven't blogged in over a month! The time is just slipping away. The last time I wrote, I was still whining about my hip, but since that time, things have improved tremendously! I am a big fan of the chiropractor now. What drugs and rest couldn't fix, he could. After about a week of his therapy, I was able to get back out and run, and have gotten back up to 4-6 miles.

The Sunday before Thanksgiving, Gary, Erin, and I ran in the Turkey Run, which was our first 5-mile race. I ran it in under 50 minutes, so I was very satisfied with my time. However, there were some fast runners over there, so I didn't place where I had hoped. I like to finish in the middle, but overall was 179 out of 224 - yuck! The race was quite hilly, so there were times that I really wanted to walk, but I was running with a friend from Rockport, and I didn't want to wimp out on her! It was so helpful to have someone to talk with along the way. It seems that something weird often happens in a race, and this one was no exception. Just past mile 4, there was a killer hill, and I made it up okay, but slowed somewhat at the top. The lady I was running with ran ahead, so I was on my own the last mile. About halfway through that mile, some lady came up behind be and stayed on my heals. I could handle that - if it weren't for the horrendous noises she made every few seconds! I was like she was trying to hock something out of her throat, and never really did. It was getting on my nerves, but it wasn't like I could just run faster and lose the hocker. THEN, we get to the shoot (that's what they call the roped off area that leads to the finish line), she comes up beside me, and she says, "come on!", like I am going to finish with her! My nasty side came into play, and I thought oh,no - you have driven me nuts for the last 1/2 mile. You are NOT going to pass me, or even finish with me! I took off in my middle-aged lady sprint, and kicked her butt!

Because I took off work the day before Thanksgiving, I actually had time for a run Thanksgiving morning. What a stress reliever! Erin, Gary's son Bryce, and I ran 6 miles in the cold that morning, and I felt awesome all day! I also didn't feel quite so guilty sampling all of the desserts! I certainly am having a hard time getting used to running in the cold, but have done much better than I thought I would. I get soooo bored on the treadmill, so I hope to be able to continue to do a couple of runs a week outside.

In the spring, there is a Triple Crown of Racing in Louisville. I am considering trying it. It begins with a 5K, and then a couple of weeks later a 10k, and finally a 10-miler. Right now, 10 miles sounds awful, but I hope by that time I can manage it. Erin just complete another 5K this morning, and won her age group! She ran it in around 23 minutes, which is just great!

Jackie and I are getting ready to hit the streets this morning. It is 25 degrees! I would much rather clean house than run in such frigid weather, but I know that if we manage to squeak out a few miles, I will be glad that I tried it. It makes for sense than sitting in a tree in the woods when it is 25 degrees, which is what my husband is doing as I type this! I truly can't figure out where the satisfaction comes from. I would get so bored I couldn't stand it. (I am editing this blog after having run 6 miles in that 25 degree weather. It felt great!!! The sun is shining, so it didn't feel that cold. I still managed to work up a good sweat.)

Better get stretching - these old muscles are cold this morning! Step away from the computer and get moving - you'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment