Traxee

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

When the body fails to cooperate...

In my previous post, I was ecstatic after having won my age group in a 5k in Owensboro. I had my fastest time that morning, and was feeling quite proud of my accomplishments. Just when things are lookin' good and confidence is high, my hip begins to hurt.

The pain and discomfort seems to be in the joint. Last week I continued to run, but not without complaining. Jackie and I ran our 6 miles on Wednesday evening, but then I was sore the next day. When running, the discomfort crawls down my leg; it feels like when I try to walk after my leg has fallen asleep - just a bit crampy. Thursday is our normal day off, and rain kept me in Friday morning, so I felt that the two-day break would be sufficient for me to be ready for a race on Saturday. Wrong.

Gary, Erin, and I were set to run in the Rocktober Fest (I think that's a really funny name!) in Rockport. It was a really cool morning, and I really prefer to run when it's warm - not scorching, just warm. We had been warned about a couple of hills in the Rockport course. No problem; I run Mozart Street at least once a week, so how bad could it be? There were only about 40 people racing that morning, which is surprisingly more intimidating than a larger race. There weren't as many people who could end up behind me! We took off, and I ended up running with my friend, Kelly Hollinden's, cousin. She is a teacher in Rockport, so we passed the blocks talking about school. Just past the 2-mile mark were two hills. One was really short, so it wasn't a problem. The next should not have been a problem, but once I reached the top, I just didn't feel well. I told Kimberly I was going to have to walk a little. Was I ever annoyed! That was my 7th 5k, and I hadn't had to walk yet. My hip wasn't really even bothering me; I just didn't feel right, and knew I had to slow down.

After walking 2 blocks, I began to run again, and finished the race running. I added 2 minutes to the previous week's time. It just wasn't a good run for me. However, Erin knocked 4 minutes off of her previous time (she didn't have me holding her back), and Gary knocked even more time off. Since his first 5k, he has knocked about 9 minutes off his time, which is outstanding.

Frustrated, but determined, I met Jackie for a run on Sunday morning. I couldn't even run 2 miles. My legs just ached. We ended up walking about 3 1/2 miles. Monday morning we went out again (it was cold at 5 a.m.!). I just decided to go as far as I could stand. We ran on the track because it is softer and level, and it did feel better. I ran 4 miles that morning, but could hardly walk at school that day. After I sat, even for just a few minutes, I was really stiff when I got up. Ugh! Tuesday morning we met at the track again - yes, I am stubborn! I ran only 2 miles, and walked 2 more. I wasn't so sore at school. Of course, by 10 a.m. I was headed home with a sick daughter, so I lay on the couch all afternoon, claiming to be resting my hip!

I am home with Addison again today, but plan to run this evening. It is so discouraging to spend so many months building up endurance and speed, only to have my body say stop. I just want to get out and run. I have tried to analyze why I suddenly have this pain. Maybe running four 5ks in five weeks was too much, but it isn't like I am training like a crazy woman! I know that this will pass; I just hope it does so quickly. I don't intend to try to add miles over the winter, but I don't want to lose ground either. It's too much work to have to start all over!

Better go check on my sick daughter...

No comments:

Post a Comment