Traxee

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Things might just be looking up

Tonight was such a gorgeous one that I decided I just had to get outside - and run. My hip didn't hurt as much today, so I thought I would just try to run, and if it was simply too painful, I would walk. I didn't tell my husband ahead of time, but I suppose that he knows me well enough to know that when I said I was going to town to walk, I would try to run. Regardless, I knew that he would not be happy with me, and I prayed that I wouldn't see him as he was driving to a meeting. It was like being afraid of getting caught by my mom! (part of the reason I love him is that he cares so very much)

I ran about 2 1/2 miles, which satisfied that craving. My hip was a little uncomfortable, but not unbearable. My feet, however, were really uncomfortable. As I was analyzing why the heck my feet were bothering me, it dawned on me - my shoes are too big! I paid $125 to get really good running shoes because Gary and I decided that the investment was worth it since we need to take care of our feet. The salesman convinced me that I needed a size 7, although my other Asics were 6 1/2. When I run, my feet feel like they are just flopping on the pavement. The tops hurt. That discomfort makes my legs feel heavy, which hasn't really happened since I started running regularly. So now I am a bit ticked that I let him convince me to spend that much money (Gary's money actually) on shoes that I can't run in. Even walking was not comfortable in those shoes. I am going back to my old shoes on my next run just to prove that the shoes are the problem, but only for my feet. The hip is another story.

I have an appointment with a chiropractor tomorrow for the hip problem. I am really anxious about the pain he might inflict. Several of my running friends have recommended this route since the steroids had no effect. At this point, I just want to get back to my routine, so I am willing to try it.

It is odd how this lack of running has affected me. I am making my husband crazy! Last night I was just totally depressed, knowing full well that it was stupid to feel that way. I was near tears just walking through Walmart, and then my sweet niece sent me a really kind text message, and I really teared up! I really believe that after exercising regularly for the past 8 months, which releases feel-good chemicals in the brain, the sudden stop in activity really had a negative impact on my mental state (or I really am just crazy). So, after running today, no matter how little or how slowly, I feel better. My hip doesn't feel any worse, and I am ready to try it again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment