Traxee

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gettin' Cranky!

Did I just sleep through fall? I walk out the garage door toward my car this morning, and suddenly it's winter! What happened to our nice fall days? I do not like winter. At all. My husband, on the other hand, loves the cold weather. He would retire to Minnesota; I would retire to Florida. I suppose that means we will live out our lives right here in the middle.

Running...right now it is not even a possibility. My hip just has not gotten any better. Saturday morning Gary and I ran the 1 mile fun run in Cannelton, and then I met Jackie for our 'real' run. I didn't know how it would go because my hip just didn't feel right. We ran 5 miles, but it was an excruciatingly slow 5 miles because my legs just didn't want to be out there on those streets. They had given me all of the warnings that I needed to take a break, but I just couldn't stop. Sunday I stopped. I met Jackie once again, even though I was in pain all day Saturday after forcing my legs to hit the pavement. We ran about 1/2 mile, and that was it for me. I just couldn't do it. I was so frustrated, but knew that if I attempted to continue, my running career might be short-lived. Did I sit at home that day? Nope. I went home, loaded my bike in the back of my car, and biked for 11 miles. It didn't hurt at all, and I was getting some much-needed exercise.

I was finally convinced that more drastic measures were needed. Should I go to a physical therapist, a chiropractor, or good ole Dr. Ress? All three had been recommended. I am leary of a chiropractor because I just don't like people touching me. I, under the advice of my husband, chose Dr. Ress. And I decided not to even try to run until after my appointment. Monday night Gary and I rode bikes so that I could at least be out on that beautiful evening, but I have done NOTHING since. I am getting very cranky, and I feel really tired. Getting out to run really gives me more energy.

My appointment with Dr. Ress was Tuesday afternoon. He determined that I have tendonitis in the tendon that attaches my quadracept to my hip area. It is irritated, and there is a nerve that runs along side of it that is also bothered. That's what causes the odd feeling that runs down my leg when I run. He gave me a week's supply of steroids, and thinks that by the weekend I will feel up to running again. Gosh, I surely hope so! Today my hip feels worse, but he said that the cold weather could make it worse (Florida for health reasons??). So, I am thinking that since I am on steroids, I could get kinda buff and run really fast! That would be worth it! Really, I just want to stop hurting so that I can get out with Jackie and run out the stress and calories!

Since neither of my good friends will brag on themselves, I am going to take the opportunity to do it for them. Kim Strobel ran the Evansville Half Marathon (13.1 miles) this past weekend. Her time was 1 hour and 37 minutes!!! She placed 3rd in her age group, and 16th out of over 1200 (no, I didn't add an extra '0'!) women! Isn't that amazing? I am so proud (and envious) of her. To put her time into perspective, that's 7 min. and 24 sec. per mile...If I can run 3 miles at 9 min. per mile, I think I am really fast! I cannot begin to even imagine running so fast, let alone for so long! My other friend, Wes Noble, ran the Chicago Marathon (26.2 miles) this past weekend. Wes has done some amazing things recently, but wants no recognition (sorry, Wes!). I don't remember his time, but it was awesome and he surpassed his goal, and HE QUALIFIED FOR THE BOSTON MARATHON! Wow! Congrats to Kim and Wes. You are both inspirations to those of us who are attempting to run.



No comments:

Post a Comment