Traxee

Saturday, August 8, 2009

We did it!

Mission accomplished! Jackie, Gary, and I finished our first Schweizer Fest 2 mile run, which was all of our original goals. It was quite a morning. First of all, it is very different, and for me intimidating, to run in one's hometown. I have been a bit jittery at out-of-town 5Ks, but nothing compared to how I felt this morning - starting at 3:00 a.m. I had trouble sleeping, and my stomach was really upset when I woke up. I was even shaking as I texted Jackie. I knew that it was pointless to be nervous; I could easily run 2 miles. Just knowing that I would know many people there (many that I had gone to school with) made me really apprehensive. Once we arrived at the race site, I began to calm down. I kept telling myself that I just had to run my race - a little faster than normal!

I wasn't about to line up in the back because I did want to run in under 20 minutes, and every second counts. I was about in row 3 when the gun went off. I started fast (well, for me), which wasn't really very smart. I maintained a good pace until the 1 mile marker; I ran it in 8:37. Normally I run over 10 minutes miles, so that was really fast for me! Of course, I also realized that that pace was too fast for me because I was getting tired already. I slowed down a little bit, but tried to keep a decent pace. At 1 1/2 miles, I felt like I was going to vomit. It was so humid, and I was pushing hard to keep going. I just kept telling myself that I only had a few more blocks to go, and that I would be so mad at myself if I stopped. I had planned to try to sprint (I use that term very loosely) the last two blocks. By the time I got to that point, I just wanted to finish. I no longer cared about times or about beating anyone. I wanted to finish, and I didn't want to throw up in front of everyone at the finish line. That would be acceptable had I run the 6-mile, but puking after the 2-mile is just not cool.

My fellow teacher, Mr. Rhodes, was near me at the end, but rather than be a gentleman, he cut right in front of me! Next year, Mr. Rhodes! My time was a little over 18:35; I will get the exact time next week. I was completely happy with that. It wasn't long after the end of the 2-milers came in that the 6-milers began to finish. Wow! I was so impressed with the times. My friend, and also fellow teacher, Mrs. Strobel, finished 2nd overall in the women's race. She did awesome! I didn't get to stay for the 6-mile awards because I also played tennis this morning, so I am not sure where my other friends placed. That's a race that just finishing truly is a major accomplishment. Sooo....I placed 2nd in my age group in the 2-mile!!! I was thrilled. I can't tell you how many were in my group - hopefully not just 3! Gary also placed 2nd in his age group. His hip began to hurt at the beginning of the run, and that has never happened before.

Next year I would love to run the 6, but gosh it was awfully hot today. I think that being mentally prepared would be crucial. I would have to just keep a slow steady pace, and be satisfied with finishing. Addison said that next year I should work to win my age group in the 2-mile, and then run the 6 the following year. I just hope that I am still running in 2 years!

Being the athlete that I am :-), Bethany and I played women's doubles in tennis this morning too. Because the tourney has so few entries, we only had to play one match. We won! I played terribly; my serves were just not going in. I would love to play more tennis so that I could play in matches more. But today, I am satisfied. It was worth all the hard work, soreness, and frustrations. Today I ran.

2 comments:

  1. Reading your blog makes me feel like a pathetic loser for sitting here on this couch blogging, facebooking, etc rather than getting out and doing something with myself. Here I thought losing weight was a good accomplishment for me, but after reading your blog...I believe I really need to do more! SO...the question is: Did you daughter run the Schweizerfest run? Did she get $100???

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter did not run! I think that she regretted it, and has asked if I will run with her next year. Although I really wanted to run the 6 mile next year, if she will run, I will stick with the 2 (and try to win my age group:-)). Thanks for reading!!!!

    ReplyDelete