Traxee

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Me and My Big Mouth!

How is it that one month ago I felt completely confident that I could run a half marathon by September, and today I am even more confident that I can't? One major factor is the Southern Indiana humidity that hit early this year. I just can't seem to adjust to the heat. I was running 9-11 miles, and now it is an accomplishment to run 6. It's very frustrating. After announcing on my blog that I would run the Women's Half in Nashville, I have to say that I am pretty certain that's not going to happen. On top of the issues with heat and humidity, my hip has decided to act up again. It doesn't hurt much when I run, but afterwards it is quite painful.

I hope to be able to work through the discomfort because my next goal is to complete a 10k (6.2 miles) on July 10. As long as the body holds out, I am not worried about the distance. The race is the Owensboro Classic, and there is a 5k and 10k both in the evening. Last year Gary and I ran the 5k, and it was the first fun race that we ran. The atmosphere was great, and there were a lot of runners. The course is flat, which was great for us newbies. It didn't hurt that if one ran in any race, he or she was signed up to win $1500 in a drawing!

Gary and I ran a race in Owensboro this past weekend. It was the OMHS 5k, and held in conjunction with the groundbreaking of the new hospital. One of the reasons we chose this race was that there was no entry fee, and with both of us running, fees add up quickly! Since it was free, and we got t-shirts, I know I shouldn't complain, but I am going to anyway. First, and this ISN'T a complaint, my teacher-friend, Emily, was also there to run, so she and I ran together. It is great having someone to talk with. She hasn't been running long, and told me that she would try to keep up with me for as long as she could (kinda makes me sound fast!). We took off, and we were running a an 8-minute pace, which is awesome for me! My first race I ran a 12-minute pace, and have gradually improved over the past several months). Emily stayed with me the whole time, and we were able to maintain an 8-minute average. I was excited because I knew I would PR this race - and maybe even place in my age group. Until we got to the finish line. First, the course was only 2.6 miles, which is a half mile short of a 5k. And, they didn't even keep time - at all. So, we ran 2.6 miles in 21 minutes, which is about 8.06 min/mile, and the only ones who knew were us - and my husband. I was really disappointed. There was a race in Evansville the same day, and I really wish I had run that instead.

Jackie and I are now working (along with Erin) on the Schweizer Fest 6-mile course. We are running the course every week so that we are prepared come August. I am also spending time praying for an unusually cool Schweizer Fest weekend! The course isn't bad, except for the Mozart Street hill. I have been running that hill about every week for a year, and it is still difficult. My go-to man for advice (Tom) says that I need to run it 3 times in a row, walking back down in between attempts, but once I reach the top, I am so thankful I have made it yet again that there is no way I am walking down and doing it all over!

Addison and I are also working some tennis into our summer. I love to play; I just wish more people in this area played. It used to be a pretty popular sport in Tell City, with the Schweizer Fest tourney drawing many players, but now it is difficult to get enough players just to keep it going. Gary, Addison, and I went out to hit golf balls for the first time this season. Just like last year, I suck royally. I just don't know that I have the patience to learn - or to listen to advice. I want to be able to play because it is something that we can all do together, but it is sooo hard! Addison is really a good player, so I hope that she keeps it up. In another year, she might have to choose between golf and band, and presently she is leaning toward band. Although I hope that ultimately she doesn't have to choose, I would want her to choose what makes her happy. Her dad, on the other hand, desperately hopes for golf!

Thanks for reading - now get out and move!





No comments:

Post a Comment