Traxee

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Still Running...

It seems to be getting harder and harder to find time to blog! I can report that I have completed my master's program through Ball State, so classes are finished - until I begin a new program! My hope now is to work on my writing more and to read just for pleasure! There's nothing quite like a good novel on a rainy day.

Running has become such a big part of our lives this summer, I just hope that I can continue to log those miles once school starts. My friend Jackie and I have been running together a lot, which is a wonderful motivator to continue. Last night we ran 4 miles together - in the drizzling rain! I know for certain that we are both hooked! I believe that it was the best that I have felt while running. At no point did I want to stop and walk, and when we finished I felt great. Jackie usually complains about some ache or just the general tiredness that sets in, but she didn't complain the whole run, nor did I. I think that we are both beginning to feel like real runners! Not marathoners or anything like that, but we have both come a long way in a short period of time. For forty-something moms who have never run, we are doing well.

I believe that I have discovered (for myself) another reason to run. Sunday I was suffering from major PMS, which my loving husband would attest to. Some months I am fine, and others I am completely psycho! This was a psycho month. I was really stressed anyway because we have our granddaughter with us, my daughter's friend from Germany was arriving Sunday, and my in-laws were arriving Monday. I felt so tense that I knew I was not worthy of even being around my family. I decided to head out by myself for a run. I turned my 'Jesus' music (it's contemporary Christian) on my Ipod, and I ran - 5 miles. I felt so much better after I had finished. Not only did I desperately need the time alone, but I needed to move. I think that I also have less cramping and bloating since I have been exercising. What a terrific side-effect!

We are signing up for another 5K so that our granddaughter can run with us before she returns to Virginia, and then we have the Schweizer Fest 2-mile on August 8. Our original goal when we began to run was to be able to complete the 2-mile run. I am now running 4-5 miles, and my husband is running 4; the 2-mile will be a piece of cake! My daughter Morgan and I also want to play doubles in the tennis tournament. She might regret playing with her mom when she realizes how inconsistent my serves are! I will continue to sign up for races just because it really makes me work so that I can improve my time. I know that I will never place, even in my age group, but if I can improve my time a little each race, I will be pleased.

Now get away from your computer and do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment