Traxee

Thursday, July 2, 2009

I'm getting better!

After learning from my first 5k that I need some serious hill work and speed work, this week I have been diligent in my quest to improve. I did not run Sunday because we made a quick trip to West Virginia to pick up our granddaughter, but I have run each day since.

A couple of nights at the track I worked on speed. I ran two miles at my regular snail pace, and then did a mile of sprinting the straight parts and walking the curves. Crazy as it may be, I enjoyed it. I then walked when I finished the speed work. Please keep in mind that my sprints are not really that fast, but they are fast for my slow old body!

My next mission was to conquer Mozart Street. It is a street in our town that has a long incline - about 11 blocks worth! I started a few blocks away so that I could warm up on flat ground, and as I turned the corner onto Mozart, my heart dropped. The hill was so ominous to a rookie runner. I forged ahead and made it up the first hill. Although the road is mostly uphill, there are three small downhill parts. For my first attempt, I walked the downhills and ran the uphills. I then looped around and finished a 3.2 mile run. I felt great, and couldn't wait to try it again.

This morning, I was determined to walk less of the hill. I went to town at about 7:40. It was a cool morning, especially for July. I decided to take the same route, and to just see what I could do. I made it all the way to the top without walking! I was ecstatic! I continued on to finish my 3.2 miles, but really planned to add to that so that I would run 4 miles. As I was running about 4 blocks from where I had parked, I saw my daughter's golf instructor, and I realized that she had a lesson in 15 minutes! Needless to say, I also did some speed work this morning as I ran to my car. I managed to get her to the lesson, and then ran another mile.

So, as I continue on this adventure, I am feeling better about running. We signed up for another 5K (my husband is also going to run this one), and I am helping a friend who wants to run in a 2-mile race.

No comments:

Post a Comment