Traxee

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Biking with Morgan

As I had stated, I am attempting to vary my exercise so that I don't get bored with one thing. I tend to get really into something, and then just quit, and I can't afford to quit exercising. My oldest daughter, Morgan, is 20 and works evenings. After getting out of shape the last couple of years, she is trying to begin an exercise routine. Since I am out of school for the summer, we are meeting in the mornings for some type of exercise.

Our first morning together we played tennis. I used to play, but now I stink. Mentally, I think I can still hit the ball, and even run down those corner shots. Physically, my body just isn't doing what my brain is thinking! Morgan, who is a very good tennis player, can lay down her racquet for a year, decide to play again, and resume hitting her powerful shots. I simply can't keep up; but I will keep trying.

Yesterday I thought I had convinced Morgan to run with me. She said she would try, but she only ran about 3 blocks. We walked 2 miles. It was still exercise, and I ran a mile when I returned home to be certain I got a good cardio workout. I also walked with my youngest daughter at an amusement park, and then walked 2 miles with my sister in the evening. Of course, even with all of that walking, I still found time to snack a lot. I have to work on realizing that just because a snack is low fat, it doesn't mean that I can eat continually throughout the day. Being at home more, I find myself grazing in the kitchen.

This morning our exercise of choice was biking. I have a 5 mile course through our town that I enjoy. There are a few hills, but nothing that is impossible. By 2 miles Morgan was ready to quit - and she had complained the entire two miles. I pushed her to keep riding, and we made it the full 5 miles. I enjoy biking, and I know that my legs get a decent workout on hills, but I still feel like I need to do more after biking. My plan is to run this evening, but it is really hot and humid outside! I need to find some type of motivation - maybe stepping on the scale will work!

1 comment:

  1. Here's a good motivator: Set an exercise goal. For instance, you can commit to walking or running the Indy 500 Festival Mini Marathon. It is a lot of fun (I ran my 10th this year) and for those race fans, you actually get to run around the track. There are 35-40k participants and hundreds of thousands of spectators. You need to register for next year early as the field fills up in November. Go to 500festival.com.

    I am also doing the Monumental Half Marathon in INdy in November if you are interested.

    Another fun exercise tidbit: train with a group of friends to do a team mini triatholon. One person swims, another runs and another bikes. Great fun and it does not get boring because you are always cross training. Believe there is one in August in Louisville. There is one in Indy in July. Some exercise facilities also have indoor ones in the Winter.

    One last thing: I will send you a link to a website that has all of the nutritional information for any fastfood restaurant. Very scarey!
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete