Traxee

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What a lifestyle change!

I think that I have mentioned that although running is the preferred method of bodily torture, Gary and I also purchased bikes early in the summer. Not just Walmart specials, but Trek bikes. They truly are nice, smooth-riding bikes, but they were not cheap. We felt that since we are not young (well Gary's not ;-)) athletes, we needed to invest in higher quality bikes. We try to work bike rides into our running schedule, but it isn't always easy.

Sunday was the perfect day for a longer ride. Previously we had ridden 5-10 miles at a time. That would be a long run, but it isn't much on a bike - unless there are hills involved. I ran Sunday morning, went to church, went to a meeting after church, and came home to announce that we would be biking. The temperature was unusually cool for the end of August, and the sky was clear. Sure, there were dirty bathrooms, yardwork, laundry, etc. to tend to, but it wasn't often that the weather cooperated on a weekend that the kids were otherwise occupied. The work could just wait (and it is still waiting three days later!).

Both a lady Gary had spoken with, Sharon, and Addie's golf instructor, Jim, had recommended riding on a back road that goes from Hawesville, KY to Lewisport, KY. So we hauled our bikes over to Hawesville and set out on our afternoon adventure. I had in my mind that it would be about ten miles to Lewisport, and I thought that riding 20 miles would be awesome - twice the longest distance we have ridden. The ride was gorgeous (and NOT hilly!). The road went through farmland so there were wildflowers and animals to keep our interest. For the first 8 or so miles, we were riding right into the wind. It made peddling more difficult, and we did not coast once. At about the 8 mile mark Gary asked just how far I intended to go. I told him that I would like to make it to 10 miles, and if we weren't at Lewisport, we could turn around. Well, we went around a bend so we were headed south rather than west, and the wind was then at our backs. Riding was much more pleasant, and Gary was ready to venture on. Being the younger spouse, there was no way I could back down! But where the heck was Lewisport?? We rode forever it seemed, and I could have turned around at any point - not Gary. We would make it to Lewisport, despite the fact that we have to turn around and ride all the way back to Hawesville.

Finally, we reached our destination. There isn't much in Lewisport, not even a soft drink machine that I desperately needed. We sat and looked at the river a few minutes (I had a sore butt by this point, and my should was beginning to throb). Knowing we had a long haul ahead, we boarded those torturous seats and began peddling back toward Haweville. Since the area was now familiar, the ride back didn't seem so long, but there are only so many positions one can get into on a bike seat.

So, we rode 30 miles one Sunday afternoon. 30 freakin' miles as I told Gary. Am I glad we stuck it out? Absolutely. The only problem is now that we know we can ride that far, how far will he expect to go next time? I am not biking to Owensboro and back!

No comments:

Post a Comment