Traxee

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Wow! It's Freezing Outside!

As I sit at the computer, I actually have on my new Snuggie (which I thought looked ridiculous when I first saw them). It is going to be a frigid week, so I am certain I will appreciate being able to curl up on the couch and keep my arms warm as I read. I won't, however, be purchasing one for our dog!

Speaking of dogs, our 'puppy' is expecting any day now. Actually, we thought she would have given birth by now, which would have been convenient considering I have to go back to school tomorrow. Izabel is only 10 months old; we had no idea she could even get pregnant! Now we have a dog nursery set up in back of our family room, and I have had to take her temp (rectally!) to try to determine when the big event will take place. Of course, the girls are excited, and working to talk their dad into taking one of the pups. I just see added work over the next six weeks!

Running...wow. In the summer I said I would not be running in really cold temps. Friday morning our town's wellness committee organized a 2-mile walk and 5-mile run. It was 18 degrees and windy! Gary, Jackie, and I went anyway. It was pretty cold the first mile or two, but then it really didn't feel that bad. There were just a few 5-milers, but it was fun to run with others who are equally obsessed with getting their runs in - and it was impossible to complain because one lady is 5 months pregnant! Last night, Erin and I ran 6 miles. It was about 16 degrees, but very little wind. I went out with the intention of running 4 miles, figuring that in the cold, dark evening, that was pretty commendable. Once we got started, it just felt good. I don't know if I would complete these longer runs if I were alone. Having Jackie and/or Erin to talk to really makes a difference. Erin makes running seem so effortless, even as she drags her old aunt along!

On this cold Sunday afternoon, it would be very easy to curl up with a good book and skip the run, but Erin and I are going to head out soon. There are days that I wish that we lived in town so that I could just step out the door and take off running; as it is I have to drive to town, which adds 20 minutes to my exercise time. I don't know how far we will run today; it really doesn't matter. I am out, and I am running. For that, I am very grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment