Traxee

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The End of an Era...or just 2009

It is hard to believe that 2009 is almost over. It has been a good year for our family, and we pray for another good year in 2010. It is difficult to write with some sense of coherency an overview of the year, so I think that maybe just some bulleted points of totally random thoughts might work best...

  • In 2009, I learned that I am capable of doing things that I used to only watch others do - like run. I would drive down the road filled with envy as I watched runners trot down the street effortlessly. While I can't say that I run effortlessly, I can run 8 miles - 8 miles!!! In March, a mere 9 months ago, I was struggling to reach 1 mile. How amazing is that?? Knowing that I can still learn knew skills, I am more confident to try new things. Skiing, anyone?
  • In 2009, I earned a master's degree. While for many that isn't a big deal, but I started going back to college 10 years ago, and going to class while working full-time and raising three daughters just isn't easy. Worthwhile - absolutely! I love to learn, and I hope that I set a good example for my kids. We are never, ever, too old to reach for our dreams! Once we give up dreaming, we give up living.
  • In 2009, we lost a pet. Just last night, one of our dogs died. It was a very odd experience. He was old, and he had trouble getting around because he had gotten fat (he always stole the other dogs' food), but it is never easy to lose a pet. We had been in Nashville for the day, gotten home late, and the dogs were ready to eat. Gary fed them as usual, and Paws acted completely normal. It wasn't 15 minutes later until he just lay down and died. There was no suffering; he was just gone. Gary and I were both with him, but it still doesn't seem real. He will be missed by all of us - especially the other dogs.
  • I continue to be reminded every day how fortunate I am. I have a wonderful husband who supports every crazy idea I have, and loves me no matter what; I have three beautiful and healthy daughters; I have a great step-daughter and step-son, and four step-grandchildren whom we adore; I have a job that I love and that allows me to make a difference each day; I work with great people; I have a warm home, warm clothes, plenty of food, and all that we need to make it in life; and I have a strong faith and know who provides for me. What more could one ask for?
  • In 2009, I reconnected with some people from my childhood, Nancy and MaryAnn, and that is truly a blessing. Having moved to Southern Indiana when I was 11, much of my early childhood was just forgotten. It is so nice to be remembered, and to know that people remember my family, especially my dad.
  • In 2009, we had visitors! In the summer our granddaughter Vika spent several weeks with us, her sisters spent a week here, my in-laws were in the area for several weeks, Bethany's friend from Germany stayed with us, and Bryce was here for a week. We love to spend time with our family, and are very grateful for the time we had with everyone.
  • In 2010, my middle daughter will graduate and leave for college. It is an exciting, yet scary time. Is she really ready to move to Indy? Are we really ready for her to go? It will be a busy year, and the time will fly by. I pray that I have taught her well, and that she always makes good decisions. As most parents know, they don't always make the best decisions, but that is how they learn. I haven't always made the best decisions, especially when I was fresh out of high school. I pray that Bethany has a great year, and that the transition to college goes smoothly for her. She is a great kid, and has the potential to do great things!
  • In 2010, my in-laws are going to move within 2 hours of us. They have been in Texas in the winters the past couple years, and traveled the rest of the year. It will be nice to have them settled, and not too far away.
  • In 2010, I have my 25 year class reunion. Wow! The years have gone so quickly. It will be interesting to see the mix of people. Some of us have older children, and some have little kids. Some have grandkids. I hope that we are all beyond trying to impress one another, and that everyone realizes that we are really all the same...we are just trying to get our children raised, pay our bills, and be content with our lives.
  • In 2010, all of our children will be here to celebrate with Gary. He is turning 60 in August, but more importantly will celebrate 10 years of sobriety!! I am so proud of him. He has worked very hard, and is always willing to help others.

I said that I just had random thoughts today...and that's pretty random! I do want to add that I have run 8 miles on a couple of occasions with Erin. It isn't easy - it's actually really hard - but I feel so good, and so proud, when I finish. Erin is a great motivator! I would like to be able to run a 10-mile race, but I can't say that I am overly confident that it will happen. At this point, I would be content to run 10Ks (6.2 miles) and work on improving my time. Of course at this point last year, I wasn't even running!

Happy New Year, Everyone! Make 2010 your best - it's up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment