Traxee

Friday, July 31, 2009

Just when I thought I had it figured out...

I've read that running is 80% mental and 20% physical, and I am beginning to buy into that philosophy. I had some great runs early in the week, but then on Wednesday Jackie and I only ran two miles, and for much of that time we were both complaining. I kept feeling aches and pains, and her leg was still causing her problems. We decided to walk, justifying it by the fact that we had done well on previous runs.

After our evening, I talked to another runner and learned what the Schweizer Fest 6-mile run consisted of. I have run everything on the route - just not all at one time! I am just itching to try it, so yesterday morning I crawled out of bed early, laced up my running shoes, and headed to town. Well, it wasn't quite that easy. When I went outside I had to move cars in order to get out. I put what I thought was my husband's spare key in my car so that I wouldn't have to go back in the house, and then I left. I hate starting off behind, but I was determined to get a run in. After I had stretched, I thought I had better check with hubbie to make sure that he had his car key so that he could get to work. I had taken his key. I thought I was going to have to turn around and go back home, but he found an extra key, so I was ready to roll. My time was already limited because I had to go to Jasper to watch Addison play in a golf tourney, but I had time to get 3 or 4 miles in.

The first few blocks of a run are always difficult. My feet hurt; my knees hurt; I can't breathe. It really takes me about 2 miles to really get into some sort of rhythm. I was headed up Mozart, but just felt lifeless. I knew that there was no way I could go 5 miles; I just hoped to get back to my car! I managed to make it 3.2 miles, which would have been awesome a month ago, but since I know that I have been running 4 or 5 miles, I felt really disappointed. What if I poop out in Jasper Saturday? Thankfully, I was pressed for time, so I ran and bought my Diet Pepsi and a candy bar (I know, that isn't really what's recommended for a post-run snack, but I love it - and deserve it!) - no time to dwell on a less-than-gratifying run. I do know that I am sticking with the 2-mile Schweizer Fest run rather than having to walk a portion of the 6-mile. Next year I will be more prepared for the longer run.

Watching golf is undoubtedly one of the most boring activities I do. I am trying to learn to hit the ball, and I don't really mind being on the course hitting around with my family, but to follow someone around for 2 hours and just watch - ugh! But, we do what we have to for our kids, so to Jasper I went with a smile on my face and Morgan in the passenger seat. It was a dreary day, raining on and off, so I rented a cart. Pretty wimpy, but there aren't many places to sit on the course, and we wanted to stay dry. The day didn't start well, as the tournament officials thought that Addison was a boy name, so they had her with the 10-12 boys. The girls had already played, and they had already given awards! Because it was their mistake, they had her play with the boys, and said that they would just use her score in order to place her. She played really well. The girl who had 'won' scored a 52; Addison scored a 44! She won her age group. She also scored at the top of the boys' group, so it was a good day.

Today is supposed to be a rest day since we run a 5K tomorrow. I feel that I have to do something (because I ate a lot yesterday), but haven't decided what. I am not really looking forward to leaving at the crack of dawn tomorrow, but once we get going, I will be fine. I hope that by not running today, I gain some energy back and am able to at least run at the pace I did in the last race, although that course was completely flat, and Jasper is hilly.

To the 4 people who actually read what I write - thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment