Traxee

Friday, February 10, 2012

It's time!

Time for what?  To get serious about getting back into shape.  It pains me to even write that I need to get back into shape.  Why the heck did I work so hard to get in decent shape, and then in a matter of a few short [holiday] months, I let all that hard work dissolve away...well, nothing dissolved exactly.  I think things multiplied.  I always get a bit lazy late in the year, and then I try to kick it in after the first of the year.  I fully intended to do just that as I ushered in 2012, and then I got a sinus infection, and then my knee started hurting, and then I kept baking and eating.  Before I knew it, that nasty little scale was creeping back up to where I began in 2009.  Crap. 

When one is a very short five feet tall, it doesn't take much added weight to cause the clothes to tighten up.  I find myself choosing my work clothes according to what fits.  My coworkers might think I love to really dress up for school because I often wear dresses and skirts, but my little secret is that they are just more comfortable because they are looser.  Heck, even my elastic waist running shorts are getting snug.  Finally, this week I had had enough.  I was a total grouch because I was angry at myself for my lack of self-control (my husband will attest to the grouchy part).  I love to bake, and I love to eat sweets.  Willpower is not a character trait that applies to me.  I hate almost every single vegetable.  And yes, I have heard all my life that I just haven't had anyone fix them right.  That's BS.  I don't like them.  Period.  I will eat corn, an occasional salad, raw carrots, and...well, that's it.  I like meat, potatoes, pasta, and desserts.  Why is it that everything that is delicious is bad for us?  It is like some cruel joke.  Oh, this is so scrumptious, but if you take a bite, you will get diabetes, cancer, high cholesterol, OBESE!  Here, try some broccoli instead. 

So, what am I to do?  I am cutting back on junk food.  My biggest sacrifice this week?  I gave away my Girl Scout cookies.  All six boxes.  Okay, five and a half.  I ate one sleeve of Thin Mints first (I'm trying!).  I had to order them; two of my favorite chicks, Maddie and Ava, were selling them.  How could I say no to a Girl Scout?  That would be unAmerican.  Of course, as my luck would have it, the day after my little woe is me meltdown, the cookies arrived.  I decided right then I could not have them around me.  Who can't devour an entire sleeve in one setting?  Caramel Delites?  Give me a box of those with a glass of milk and I am one happy gal. 

After ridding myself of those sinful little cookies, it was time to take the next step.  Gary and I registered for the Derby Mini Marathon that takes place in April.  We have talked about it for months, and this week the entry fee was going to go up, so we did it.  Having an upcoming race is great incentive to not only improve my eating habits, but also to stay consistent with running and cross-training.  Since this is the race I ran last year 12 weeks after surgery, and I had a great race, there is the added pressure to run even [a little bit] better this year.  I am ready to get serious.  I pray my knee allows me to train properly.  I went back to Zumba this week after taking several weeks off, and plan to go once a week to add variety to my training, besides, it is a blast!

Another bit of incentive to maintain my running routine is that Morgan has begun running.  Our girls have watched us run races, and have seen the hard work we have put in to increase our mileage, but have not been interested in joining us - despite our efforts to recruit them.  Last fall, Tamara began running, and, along with her brother Bryce and his girlfriend Krista,  ran two miles with us Thanksgiving morning.  Now Morgan is running, and this week hit the one-mile-without-stopping mark!  That is a huge accomplishment in running, and once a runner gets to one mile, adding mileage is a little easier.  I must add that Morgan is also pushing a stroller while running, which has to make it much more difficult.  I cannot even imagine.  I am really proud of Tamara and Morgan, and can't wait until they both get to the point where they really enjoy the run.  Our annual Thanksgiving Morning Run might just keep growing!  So, after encouraging our family to run, how can I be a slacker? 

My next goal is to try out some Splenda in some of my favorite recipes to see if I can still bake while cutting back calories.  That'll be great fun, I'm sure.  I am going to give up candy for Lent, which is what I usually give up.  That might seem easy for most adults, but I love candy.  It isn't my child who whines for a candy bar in the checkout line; it's me!  If you see me at Walmart, and you witness my hand reaching for the chocolate, please just smack it.  Really.  Crazier things happen at that place, and I won't sue you.  Promise. 

Now step away from the computer and grab some broccoli.  It's good for you.  Gross, but good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment