Traxee

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Recovery Part 2

I am already 15 days post-op! It is amazing the progress that I have made in the last week. Just this morning I did 10 minutes on the elliptical (slow), 300 punches on the punching bag, and my TurboJam low impact workout without weights. It felt awesome to sweat! I went for my 2 week check-up yesterday, and though I cannot run, I can exercise. My doctor said if it hurts, don't do it. Great advice! None of the workout I did this morning hurt. It was actually very invigorating.


Once I finished with my exercise, I straightened the kitchen area, scrubbed a bathroom, dusted my bedroom, and scrubbed the hardwood floors in my living room. Other than a walk and fixing dinner, that is all the physical activity for the day. I can also feel a nap in my near future!

When the nurse came to get me yesterday, she asked if I was only 2 weeks post-op. When I told her that I was, she seemed surprised. She said that most women were still pretty sore and not getting around very well at that point. I was getting around just fine, dressed in regular clothes (as opposed to pajamas or sweats), my hair was fixed, and I had on make-up. My doctor said that my being in good shape and having a positive attitude had really helped my recovery. I couldn't agree more! I still get really tired, and it seems to hit very suddenly, but overall I feel pretty terrific!

My husband and I were talking about recovery. Many well-meaning friends have said, "Don 't push yourself!" That completely goes against everything that I have worked for the past two years. As a runner, I am constantly pushing myself. I push beyond the pain and exhaustion. I have used the mantra that if it were easy, everyone would run. It is very difficult to turn that 'push yourself' attitude off. Thus far, pushing myself within reason has paid off. I have read on websites about hysterectomies that I should stay in my pajamas and try to look bad so that the family doesn't think I am recovered. Really? Getting dressed and making myself look better made ME feel better! My family is intelligent enough to know that I am still limited in what I can do.

I know that I have to use common sense when planning my days. I still cannot carry anything heavy, and I know that I can hit that wall pretty quickly when out and about. I wouldn't take any long car rides yet, nor would I fill a day with activity. If I am busy all morning, I have to plan time for an afternoon nap. I still have 3 1/2 weeks of leave time from work. I know that going back to 26 eight and nine year olds will make me tired, but I feel that I will have given myself adequate time to heal. Right now, there is no way I could make it through a school day. I want to be able to give those kiddos the best me I can - they deserve it!

So far, so good! I hope that I can report even more improvements next time!

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome, Joyce! We are so lucky to have crossed paths with you. Cole loves and misses you! I wish that everyone had your outlook on life...Can you image what a wonderful world this would be? You are such a good influence!
    Thanks so much for all that you do!
    Windy

    ReplyDelete