Traxee

Monday, August 2, 2010

The Race is To Be!

First of all, an update on my previous post: I WILL run the 6-mile Schweizer Fest race. After much support from family, friends, and Traxees, and a couple good runs over the weekend, I am feeling more confident in my ability to attack the hill and complete the race. How decent my time is will depend upon the temperature and my nerves that morning. For some reason running in a hometown race makes me extremely nervous! I much prefer running where no one knows me. There is something comforting about anonymity when I am feeling vulnerable. So thank you to everyone who has encouraged me to take this risk. If we don't take risks, life will pass us by and we will live with regrets.


The past few days I have been thinking about what and who inspires me. I clearly remember in my pre-running days driving down the street, seeing someone running, and wishing that I, too, could run. I hated running in high school; I was never fast, and distance running never even crossed my mind. I played tennis and was quite dismayed when the coach said we had to run in order to properly condition. Yuck! If anyone had told me that I would one day appreciate running, I would have thought him or her to be crazy. Why would I want to be sore, stiff, short-of-breath, or sweaty?

The first person to truly inspire me was my husband. In the winter of 2009, he decided he was tired of not exercising and of using his titanium knee as an excuse to avoid many activities. I am not certain what made him decide to choose running, but he did. He would venture out in the bitter cold and run to the end of our gravel lane and back. He did this for several weeks, and I sat watching TV and eating snacks. He gradually began to add distance, and I gradually began to really see the 10 pounds that I had gained (at 5 feet tall, 10 pounds in my belly was a lot!). I had used every excuse to not run, but seeing my husband make the time for it shattered those excuses. I started on the treadmill (I was not getting out in the cold to try a new sport!), and worked my way up to running on our gravel road. We figured out that if we ran from our house to our neighbor's barn and back, we would have run one mile! That first mile was the toughest. Fast forward 18 months, and we are both running at distances we never thought possible. Without his love, support, encouragement, and example, I would not be running, and those 10 pounds would now be 20.

The next two people who have inspired me are both co-workers. The first is Kim, a fellow teacher. Kim is a natural runner. She has awesome legs that are as fast as they are toned. She can actually run a half-marathon with the knowledge that she will likely be in the top 10%, if not higher. When I first started running and was barely squeaking out 1/2 mile, Kim pushed me to go further, never doubting that I could. She is one of my go-to people when I have questions. The other co-worker is actually my boss. Our principal, who is also the mother of three young boys, started running. She worked her way up (quickly) to running half-marathons. As busy as she is, my 'no-time-for-running' excuse was shot. She, like Kim, pushed me to go further and made me feel like I could do it.

My running partners are a constant source of inspiration, support, laughter, and friendship. Jackie and I have been running together since last summer. She and I grew up together, and have become closer through our runs. She is a single mom of three sons, works very hard to always help others, yet she finds time to run and to improve herself on a daily basis. Jennifer just started running with us this summer. She is younger, and a more experienced runner. We depend on her common sense advice and her positive attitude on long, hot runs. She is also a swimmer, which I totally admire. My niece, Erin (shown with me in picture), has also spent some major miles with us, but just moved away. She is so positive and just plain fun to run with. I will miss her!

Recently, I have been so inspired by the many new runners that seem to be popping up everywhere in our small town! I am so proud of them for getting out there, working through the frustrations, and tolerating the heat and humidity as they get their running groove. Annette, Kelli, Emily, Amy, Jean, Jema, Lori, and my sister Bobbi...They are all amazing and it inspires me to read their Facebook posts about their runs. I hope that I can always be a source of support for each of them, and that they, in turn, support other new runners. I cannot mention new runners without mentioning my dear friend, Kassi, who just happens to be Jackie's sister. She began running this summer when her family developed their own version of The Biggest Loser. She ran 5 miles last night! She told me that she runs slowly, but she does not walk. She has added miles at record pace as far as I am concerned. This group inspires me to keep going!

I also have some inspiration from some rather unusual places - TV! I will admit that I love The Biggest Loser! I am in awe of the contestants who work so diligently to lose so much weight, and all end the program by running! There have been times when I am having a horrible run, feeling sorry for myself, and wanting to quit. I picture the men and women running on that show and imagine just how difficult it must be for them. How can I possibly complain? This morning on the Today Show, Matt Lauer announced that Al Roker had completed a half marathon over the weekend. My 13-year-old was sitting there watching and said, "Mom, I don't want to hear that you can't run a half marathon if he can do it!". There's some inspiration!

Who inspires you? Have you ever told him or her? What can you do to inspire others? One of the things I love most about running is the support that runners give one another. I have never been among a group that encourages one another more. Experienced runners respect the ambition and courage it takes to get started. I have made some new and wonderful friends and developed deeper friendships with acquaintances through running. It's like an exclusive club. We understand the aches, the need for stronger deodorant, the accomplishment of meeting a PR, the disappointment of a terrible run, hill running, sprints, intervals, LONG runs, hot runs, cold runs, stomach issues, and mostly the sheer joy of lacing up our shoes and running just because we can. How awesome is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment